AC

AC

Vineland (Classic, 20th-Century, Penguin)
Thomas Pynchon
Gravity's Rainbow
Thomas Pynchon
A Gravity's Rainbow Companion: Sources and Contexts for Pynchon's Novel
Steven Weisenburger

Paul Klee: Selected by Genius (Art Flexi)

Paul Klee: Selected by Genius (Art Flexi) - Roland Doschka (When I first read this, I didn't know how to read an art book. I thought -- well, it's a book -- so I guess I have to read every word of it... with the result, that I didn't really remember to look -- to "really" look -- at an of the pictures. Now that I understand what a dumb approach that was -- that "reading" a book of Klee is not about reading the turgid essays of some poorly translated art academic nonsense, I need to do this one again.... paying attention to the pictures this time. Duh...! Well..., live and learn.)

This volume contains a wonderful collection of 80 works of Paul Klee (b. 1879 - d. 1940), done in the period 1917-1933. There is a biography at the back that includes photographs of the artist and his family and three essays at the front (by Victoria Salley, Roland Doschka - the volume's editor - and Christian Rümelin). I found these essays uninspiring, pedantic -- though the paper of Rümelin contains detailed discussion on Klee's presentation of his own work (his handwritten catalogue, mounting, estate collection, and so forth) that may interest some.