AC

AC

Vineland (Classic, 20th-Century, Penguin)
Thomas Pynchon
Gravity's Rainbow
Thomas Pynchon
A Gravity's Rainbow Companion: Sources and Contexts for Pynchon's Novel
Steven Weisenburger
Fin-de-Siècle Vienna: Politics and Culture - Carl E. Schorske I found this book quite off-putting, and though the author is enormously learned, I feel the book is somewhat overrated. I ended up skimming vast tracts of it (hence the category: i-get-the-picture instead of 'read')... and this, after several failed attempts even at starting it.

Part of the problem is me - I know very little about this period -as fascinating as it obviously is - and have had difficulty reading the few literary works I've tried -- though that clearly is something I plan to continue working on. German is a VERY difficult language for me; literary german is incomprehensible; and to approach authors like Musil and Broch in translation is especially challenging.

But as to Schorske, he himself is neither fish nor fowl. He is not an historian or (by his own admission) an expert on Austria; he is not an art historian or literary historian or literary critic - he is a "cultural historian" and that, I'm afraid to say, means that he has only a mish-mash of a method. It is quite erudite and rotund (rhetorical, lots of adjectives - many of them signifying little or nothing) - but I never felt I came away having been given analytical insight into any of the figures I was reading about. In other words, for all the work at reading this, I got little nourishment, and effectively decided to move on.

I know that my views on this book will either strike others as foolish - or even MARK me and my limitations for all to see -- and I accept that. This IS one of the biggest gaps in my knowledge, and possibly I'd have a more favorable view of this book if I knew more about it.

I've got two more on deck - and would welcome any further suggestions.