AC

AC

Vineland (Classic, 20th-Century, Penguin)
Thomas Pynchon
Gravity's Rainbow
Thomas Pynchon
A Gravity's Rainbow Companion: Sources and Contexts for Pynchon's Novel
Steven Weisenburger
A Public Betrayed: An Inside Look at Japanese Media Atrocities and Their Warnings to the West - Adam Gamble,  Takesato Watanabe This book reads like an expanded magazine article - with the pluses and minuses which that implies. It is, for all that, a hard-hitting and generally persuasive critique of the Japanese media.

The opening three chapters look at the Japanese style of government (from a Van Wolferen perspective; one I am sympathetic to);at the mainstream Japanese press and their press clubs - which Gamble shows to be a thoroughly corrupt system whereby the mainstream media is little more than a tool of the powers-that-be; and the weekly magazines/tabloids (Shukanshi: e.g. http://www.weeklypost.com/110916jp/index.html), which is the primary focus of the book.

These weeklies permeate the consciousness of the Japanese consumer - who not only read these magazines by the millions, but are constantly bombarded by their sensationalistic headlines on trains, busses, in other newspapers, etc. They are something of a cross between high-quality political journalism (think Time or Newsweek), occasionally hard-hitting investigative journalism, scandal-mongering (a sort of collective media Ijime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijime), extensive gossip, and erotica (mostly softcore). In fact, in reading this -- it appears to me that HuffPost is a (slightly high-brow) version of Shukanshi, and I wouldn't be in the least surprised to learn that Shukanshi had been a conscious model for Arianna Huffington.

One can stop here, at p. 119.

The following chapters present a set of case-studies: terrorizing the victims of terrorism (a-la-Richard Jewel); Anti-semitism in a country without Jews (and holocaust denial in Japan - which is very widespread); smearing a Buddhist leader; whitewashing the Nanjing Massacre -- which has some of the most depressing descriptions of the event -- drawn from this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=_H0JEjAqMcsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=honda+nanjing&hl=en&ei=yK1yTrGCGK3J0AGUwuWcDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false); and, finally, a chapter on the persecution/denial of the 'comfort women' "controversy" -- only a controversy, of course, in the distorted mind of the (frequently) ultra-rightest Japanese media.

All in all, a very depressing, and generally quite persuasive portrait of modern Japan.

My only complaints is that the author is occasionally given to excesses of expression - although, I must say, by the time I finished his chapters on Nanjing and on the 'comfort women', I couldn't really blame him.